The magic system works like a horoscope, each month carrying the magical properties of an element, and the time of day effecting the way it manifests in the person.
Everyone in the world is born with magic affiliations, often finding their calling in a sub-element. Only those who dedicate their lives to magic study can unlock the power to access multiple sub-elements. However, it is impossible for internal magic users to perform external magic, and vice versa. Otherwise, magic prowess depends on the amount of study and practice put in by the individual.
The different ways of "casting" magic (transformations, enchantments, etc) also take years of study, and usually learning a single application can be a lifetime of dedication. Certain magic applications often bleed directly into crafts occupations across the world.
- Internal metal user who applies through enchantments: can specialize in a gold sub-element and create enchanted jewelry. By touching and interacting with the gold, this magic user can infuse it with their influence, perhaps through something like a personal crest or brand. These gold rings or necklaces can hold magic and enhance the resonance of the wearer's own magic.
This example can also apply to other materials, like gems, metal for armor, wood for wands, herbs for potions, etc etc. (yes, crafted items with infused magic can also be ingested, depending on the make)
- External water user who applies through an area of effect: can specialize in snow and cause a snowstorm around them. It would only be a certain radius, the size depending on their capabilities or energy levels.
This example can also apply to other elements, like an earth user who causes quakes, a fire user who specializes in magma and causes volcanic eruptions, etc
The descriptions under each element are different “cycles” that occur throughout the year:
1) the outermost cycle is the cycle of life,
2) the middle circle is the cycle of agriculture, and
3) the innermost circle is education
If you have any questions or think of any of your own examples, please feel free to ask in the comments below! This is a universe that I am slowly working on with Ai-Bee and TheFlamingZebra, but please feel free to suggest and get involved! I want this to become an open world eventually for people to make their own characters in
More of this world can be found here
2) being surrounded/protected by the element is a little different from becoming a pure elemental. Both internal and external casters are capable of becoming elemental but at the cost of losing their minds and probably soon after, death. It's a system I need to develop more so sometime in the future i'll probably make an infographic of it!
if you were still curious, combustion can definitely be explosive hits if they're an internal magic user. If they're external, it can also be the ability to explode items from a distance!
likewise, the energy subelement could very much be giving yourself more energy, or being able to replenish energy through heat, etc.
light can be used very simply! For example, distraction tactics via glare or momentary blinding, being able to produce light in dark places, being able to snuff OUT lights to your advantage, etc!
Every element and subelement has multiple ways in which they can be utilized!
Just wanted to ask you, what would I be if I were born on the 5th of April at night? An external wood user?
I'd also love to know if learning to use one's magic is more like meditation, all about getting to know yourself, or academics, learning hard and fast rules with cause and effect, or possibly more like martial arts training, with forms and physical practice
For metal, I see metal as the element of science and technology, and on top of the fact many chemicals are metal alloys, such as the Alkali metals on the periodic table, etc
A lot of the subelements are meant to overlap-- for example, a blood subelement can be achieved through both water/fluid and metal/iron, etc